CVE-2019-9193 PostgreSQL in NetApp Products
This advisory should be considered the single source of current, up-to-date, authorized and accurate information from NetApp.
Advisory ID: NTAP-20190502-0003 Version: 2.0 Last updated: 05/06/2019 Status: Final. CVEs: CVE-2019-9193
Multiple NetApp products incorporate PostgreSQL.
** DISPUTED ** In PostgreSQL 9.3 through 11.2, the "COPY TO/FROM PROGRAM" function allows superusers and users in the 'pg_read_server_files' group to execute arbitrary code in the context of the database's operating system user. This functionality is enabled by default and can be abused to run arbitrary operating system commands on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
NOTE: Third parties claim/state this is not an issue because PostgreSQL functionality for "COPY TO/FROM PROGRAM" is acting as intended. References state that in PostgreSQL, a superuser can execute commands as the server user without using the "COPY FROM PROGRAM". Furthermore, members in 'pg_read_server_files' can run commands only if either the 'pg_execute_server_program' role or superuser are granted.
The PostgreSQL community has issued an official statement declaring this to not be a vulnerability but a feature of PostgreSQL that is similar to those offered in competing products. The original reporter to MITRE has agreed with the position of the PostgreSQL community and issued a retraction of the CVE.
None - no longer considered a vulnerability.
Vulnerability Scoring Details
Exploitation and Public Announcements
NetApp is aware of public discussion of this vulnerability.
Products Not Affected
- 7-Mode Transition Tool
- ATTO FibreBridge - 6500N
- Active IQ Unified Manager for Linux
- Active IQ Unified Manager for Microsoft Windows
- Active IQ Unified Manager for VMware vSphere
- Active IQ mobile app
- Brocade Fabric Operating System Firmware
- Cloud Manager
- Clustered Data ONTAP
- Clustered Data ONTAP Antivirus Connector
- E-Series SANtricity OS Controller Software 11.x
- E-Series SANtricity Storage Manager
- E-Series SANtricity Web Services (REST API) for Web Services Proxy
- Element Plug-in for vCenter Server
- FAS/AFF BIOS
- FAS/AFF Baseboard Management Controller (BMC)
- Host Utilities - SAN for Linux
- Host Utilities - SAN for Windows
- MetroCluster Tiebreaker for clustered Data ONTAP
- NetApp Cloud Backup (formerly AltaVault)
- NetApp Cloud Backup OST Plug-in (formerly AltaVault OST Plug-in)
- NetApp Converged Systems Advisor Agent
- NetApp HCI Compute Node (Bootstrap OS)
- NetApp HCI Compute Node BIOS
- NetApp Manageability SDK
- NetApp NFS Plug-in for VMware VAAI
- NetApp SANtricity Cloud Connector
- NetApp SANtricity SMI-S Provider
- NetApp SMI-S Provider
- NetApp SolidFire & HCI Management Node
- NetApp SolidFire & HCI Storage Node (Element Software)
- NetApp SolidFire Baseboard Management Controller (BMC)
- NetApp SteelStore Cloud Integrated Storage
- NetApp Storage Encryption
- NetApp VASA Provider for Clustered Data ONTAP 9.6 and above
- ONTAP Select Deploy administration utility
- OnCommand API Services
- OnCommand Insight
- OnCommand Unified Manager Core Package
- OnCommand Workflow Automation
- Open Systems SnapVault Agent
- SAS Firmware
- Service Processor
- Single Mailbox Recovery
- Snap Creator Framework
- SnapDrive for Unix
- SnapDrive for Windows
- SnapManager for Exchange
- SnapManager for Hyper-V
- SnapManager for MS SQL
- SnapManager for Oracle
- SnapManager for SAP
- SnapManager for Sharepoint
- Storage Replication Adapter for Clustered Data ONTAP for VMware vSphere 9.6 and above
- Storage Services Connector
- StorageGRID (formerly StorageGRID Webscale)
- StorageGRID Baseboard Management Controller (BMC)
- StorageGRID9 (9.x and prior)
- System Manager 9.x
- Virtual Storage Console for VMware vSphere 9.6 and above
Software Versions and Fixes
This section will be updated as patches are released.
None at this time.
Obtaining Software Fixes
Software fixes will be made available through the NetApp Support website in the Software Download section.
Customers who do not have access to the Support website should contact Technical Support at the number below to obtain the patches.
Check http://mysupport.netapp.com for further updates.
For questions, contact NetApp at:
1 888 4 NETAPP (1 888 463 8277) (U.S. and Canada)
+00 800 44 638277 (EMEA/Europe)
+800 800 80 800 (Asia/Pacific)
Status of This Notice
This advisory is posted at the following link:
|1.0||20190502||Initial Public Release, Final status|
|2.0||20190506||Changed CVSS score to 0.0 - this is no longer considered a vulnerability|
This document is provided solely for informational purposes. All information is based upon NetApp’s current knowledge and understanding of the hardware and software products tested by NetApp, and the methodology and assumptions used by NetApp. NetApp is not responsible for any errors or omissions that may be contained herein, and no warranty, representation, or other legal commitment or obligation is being provided by NetApp. © 2017 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved. No portions of this document may be reproduced without prior written consent of NetApp, Inc.