CVE-2017-15095 Jackson JSON Library vulnerability in NetApp Products
This advisory should be considered the single source of current, up-to-date, authorized and accurate information from NetApp.
Advisory ID: NTAP-20171214-0003 Version: 16.0 Last updated: 11/24/2020 Status: Final. CVEs: CVE-2017-15095
Multiple NetApp products incorporate the Jackson JSON library. FasterXML/jackson-databind versions before 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 2.8.10, and 2.9.1 are susceptible to a vulnerability which when successfully exploited could result in remote code execution. This is a follow-up to the previous flaw CVE-2017-7525. This advisory will be updated as additional information becomes available.
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could lead to remote code execution.
Although OnCommand Unified Manager 7.2 and higher ships vulnerable versions of jackson-databind it does not call on enableDefaultTyping() for any polymorphic deserialization operations which is the root cause of this vulnerability.
Vulnerability Scoring Details
Exploitation and Public Announcements
NetApp is aware of public discussion of this vulnerability.
- OnCommand Balance
- OnCommand Performance Manager for Linux
- OnCommand Performance Manager for VMware vSphere
- OnCommand Shift
Products Not Affected
- 7-Mode Transition Tool
- ATTO FibreBridge
- Active IQ Unified Manager (formerly OnCommand Unified Manager) for Linux 7.3 and above
- Active IQ Unified Manager (formerly OnCommand Unified Manager) for VMware vSphere 9.5 and above
- Active IQ Unified Manager (formerly OnCommand Unified Manager) for Windows 7.3 and above
- Brocade Fabric Operating System Firmware
- Brocade Network Advisor Software
- Clustered Data ONTAP
- Clustered Data ONTAP Antivirus Connector
- Data ONTAP operating in 7-Mode
- E-Series SANtricity Management Plug-ins (Oracle EM)
- E-Series SANtricity OS Controller Software 11.x
- E-Series SANtricity Storage Manager
- E-Series SANtricity Web Services (REST API) for Web Services Proxy
- Element Plug-in for vCenter Server
- FAS/AFF BIOS
- Host Utilities - SAN for Linux
- Host Utilities - SAN for Windows
- MetroCluster Tiebreaker for clustered Data ONTAP
- NetApp Cloud Backup (formerly AltaVault)
- NetApp Cloud Backup OST Plug-in (formerly AltaVault OST Plug-in)
- NetApp Converged Systems Advisor Agent
- NetApp HCI Compute Node (Bootstrap OS)
- NetApp Manageability SDK
- NetApp NFS Plug-in for VMware VAAI
- NetApp Plug-in for Symantec NetBackup
- NetApp SANtricity Cloud Connector
- NetApp SANtricity SMI-S Provider
- NetApp SMI-S Provider
- NetApp Service Level Manager
- NetApp SolidFire & HCI Storage Node (Element Software)
- NetApp Storage Encryption
- NetApp VASA Provider for Clustered Data ONTAP 7.2 and above
- ONTAP Select Deploy administration utility
- OnCommand API Services
- OnCommand Cloud Manager
- OnCommand Insight
- OnCommand System Manager 9.x
- OnCommand Unified Manager for 7-Mode (core package)
- OnCommand Workflow Automation
- Open Systems SnapVault Agent
- RAID Controller CTS2600 Legacy Engenio
- Service Processor
- Single Mailbox Recovery
- Snap Creator Framework
- SnapDrive for Unix
- SnapDrive for Windows
- SnapManager for Exchange
- SnapManager for Hyper-V
- SnapManager for MS SQL
- SnapManager for Oracle
- SnapManager for SAP
- SnapManager for Sharepoint
- Storage Replication Adapter for Clustered Data ONTAP for VMware vSphere 7.2 and above
- Storage Services Connector
- StorageGRID (formerly StorageGRID Webscale)
- StorageGRID9 (9.x and prior)
- Virtual Storage Console for VMware vSphere 7.2 and above
Software Versions and Fixes
NetApp's currently available patches are listed below.
|Product||First Fixed in Release|
|OnCommand Performance Manager for VMware vSphere||
OnCommand Performance Manager for VMware vSphere has no plans to address this vulnerability. See the EOA announcement for more information.
OnCommand Shift has no plans to address this vulnerability. See the EOA announcement for more information.
OnCommand Balance has no plans to address this vulnerability. See the EOA announcement for more information.
|OnCommand Performance Manager for Linux||
OnCommand Performance Manager for Linux has no plans to address this vulnerability. See the EOA announcement for more information.
Obtaining Software Fixes
Software fixes will be made available through the NetApp Support website in the Software Download section.
Customers who do not have access to the Support website should contact Technical Support at the number below to obtain the patches.
Check http://mysupport.netapp.com for further updates.
For questions, contact NetApp at:
1 888 4 NETAPP (1 888 463 8277) (U.S. and Canada)
+00 800 44 638277 (EMEA/Europe)
+800 800 80 800 (Asia/Pacific)
Status of This Notice
This advisory is posted at the following link:
|1.0||20171214||Initial Public Release|
|2.0||20171215||SnapCenter Server, OnCommand Unified Manager for VMware vSphere for 7.2 and above, OnCommand Unified Manager for Windows for 7.2 and above, and OnCommand Unified Manager for Linux for 7.2 and above moved to Affected Products, NetApp Service Level Manager moved to Products Not Affected, OnCommand Performance Manager for Linux and OnCommand Performance Manager for VMware vSphere moved to Won't Fix status due to Limited Support transition on 12/31/2017|
|3.0||20171218||7-Mode Transition Tool, SnapCreator Framework, and OnCommand Unified Manager for 7-mode (core package) moved to Products Not Affected. OnCommand Workflow Automation moved to Affected Products.|
|4.0||20171221||E-Series SANtricity Cloud Connector moved to Products Not Affected, OnCommand Cloud Manager moved to Affected Products.|
|5.0||20171222||OnCommand Insight moved to Products Not Affected.|
|6.0||20180109||NetApp AltaVault moved to Products Not Affected.|
|7.0||20180116||StorageGRID Webscale moved to Products Not Affected.|
|8.0||20180119||OnCommand Balance moved to Won't Fix status|
|9.0||20180201||OnCommand Unified Manager for Linux for 7.2 and above, OnCommand Unified Manager for Windows for 7.2 and above, and OnCommand Unified Manager for VMware vSphere for 7.2 and above added to Software Versions and Fixes|
|10.0||20180315||OnCommand Shift moved to Won't Fix status, Storage Replication Adapter for Clustered Data ONTAP for VMware vSphere 4.x and above moved to Products Not Affected|
|11.0||20180522||After additional review OnCommand Workflow Automation moved to Products Not Affected|
|12.0||20180825||SnapCenter Server added to Software Versions and Fixes|
|13.0||20181218||SaaS Backup moved to Products Not Affected|
|14.0||20190308||After additional review OnCommand Unified Manager 7 and higher products moved from Affected Products to Products Not Affected|
|15.0||20190606||StorageGRID (formerly StorageGRID Webscale) moved to Products Not Affected|
|16.0||20201124||OnCommand Cloud Manager moved to Products Not Affected, Final status|
This document is provided solely for informational purposes. All information is based upon NetApp’s current knowledge and understanding of the hardware and software products tested by NetApp, and the methodology and assumptions used by NetApp. NetApp is not responsible for any errors or omissions that may be contained herein, and no warranty, representation, or other legal commitment or obligation is being provided by NetApp. © 2017 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved. No portions of this document may be reproduced without prior written consent of NetApp, Inc.