CVE-2017-5988 Denial of Service Vulnerability in clustered Data ONTAP 8.1 and higher
This advisory should be considered the single source of current, up-to-date, authorized and accurate information from NetApp.
Advisory ID: NTAP-20170331-0001 Version: 3.0 Last updated: 05/25/2017 Status: Final. CVEs: CVE-2017-5988
Clustered Data ONTAP versions 8.1 through 9.1P1 are susceptible to a vulnerability which allows remote attackers to cause a denial-of-service (DoS) in NFS and SMB environments. Users are encouraged to upgrade to a fixed version to resolve this vulnerability.
Exploitation of this vulnerability will allow a remote attacker to cause a denial-of-service (DoS) condition to affected versions of clustered Data ONTAP if NFS or SMB protocols are enabled.
Vulnerability Scoring Details
Exploitation and Public Announcements
NetApp is aware of public discussion of this vulnerability.
- Clustered Data ONTAP
Products Not Affected
- 7-Mode Transition Tool
- ATTO FibreBridge
- Brocade Fabric Operating System Firmware
- Brocade Network Advisor Software
- Clustered Data ONTAP Antivirus Connector
- Data ONTAP operating in 7-Mode
- E-Series SANtricity Management Plug-ins (VMware vCenter)
- E-Series SANtricity Storage Manager
- E-Series SANtricity Web Services (REST API) for Web Services Proxy
- FAS/AFF BIOS
- Host Utilities - SAN for Linux
- Host Utilities - SAN for Windows
- MetroCluster Tiebreaker for clustered Data ONTAP
- NetApp Cloud Backup (formerly AltaVault)
- NetApp Cloud Backup OST Plug-in (formerly AltaVault OST Plug-in)
- NetApp Manageability SDK
- NetApp NFS Plug-in for VMware VAAI
- NetApp Plug-in for Symantec NetBackup
- NetApp SANtricity SMI-S Provider
- NetApp SMI-S Provider
- NetApp Service Level Manager
- NetApp SolidFire & HCI Storage Node (Element Software)
- NetApp Storage Encryption
- NetApp VASA Provider for Clustered Data ONTAP 7.2 and above
- OnCommand API Services
- OnCommand Cloud Manager
- OnCommand Insight
- OnCommand System Manager 9.x
- OnCommand Unified Manager for 7-Mode (core package)
- OnCommand Workflow Automation
- Open Systems SnapVault Agent
- RAID Controller CTS2600 Legacy Engenio
- Service Processor
- Single Mailbox Recovery
- Snap Creator Framework
- SnapDrive for Unix
- SnapDrive for Windows
- SnapManager for Exchange
- SnapManager for Hyper-V
- SnapManager for MS SQL
- SnapManager for Oracle
- SnapManager for SAP
- SnapManager for Sharepoint
- Storage Replication Adapter for Clustered Data ONTAP for VMware vSphere 7.2 and above
- Storage Services Connector
- StorageGRID (formerly StorageGRID Webscale)
- StorageGRID Webscale NAS Bridge
- StorageGRID9 (9.x and prior)
- System Setup
- Virtual Storage Console for VMware vSphere 7.2 and above
Software Versions and Fixes
NetApp's currently available patches are listed below.
|Product||First Fixed in Release|
|Clustered Data ONTAP||
This vulnerability can be mitigated by performing the following steps:
- Disable UDP on all NFS SVMs in the cluster. Refer to the NFS options documentation for more information.
- Disable NBNS over UDP on all SMB SVMs in the cluster. Refer to the CIFS options documentation for more information.
Obtaining Software Fixes
Software fixes will be made available through the NetApp Support website in the Software Download section.
Customers who do not have access to the Support website should contact Technical Support at the number below to obtain the patches.
Check http://mysupport.netapp.com for further updates.
For questions, contact NetApp at:
1 888 4 NETAPP (1 888 463 8277) (U.S. and Canada)
+00 800 44 638277 (EMEA/Europe)
+800 800 80 800 (Asia/Pacific)
Status of This Notice
This advisory is posted at the following link:
|1.0||20170331||Initial Public Release, Final status|
|2.0||20170516||Added 8.3.2P11 fix|
|3.0||20170525||Added workaround and lowered severity to MEDIUM. After further review, the attack complexity was determined to be higher than previously thought.|
This document is provided solely for informational purposes. All information is based upon NetApp’s current knowledge and understanding of the hardware and software products tested by NetApp, and the methodology and assumptions used by NetApp. NetApp is not responsible for any errors or omissions that may be contained herein, and no warranty, representation, or other legal commitment or obligation is being provided by NetApp. © 2017 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved. No portions of this document may be reproduced without prior written consent of NetApp, Inc.