November 2016 Network Time Protocol Daemon (ntpd) Vulnerabilities in Multiple NetApp Products
This advisory should be considered the single source of current, up-to-date, authorized and accurate information from NetApp.
Advisory ID: NTAP-20170310-0002 Version: 6.0 Last updated: 12/11/2018 Status: Final. CVEs: CVE-2016-7426, CVE-2016-7427, CVE-2016-7428, CVE-2016-7429, CVE-2016-7431, CVE-2016-7433, CVE-2016-7434, CVE-2016-9310, CVE-2016-9311, CVE-2016-9312
Multiple NetApp® products contain the Network Time Protocol daemon (ntpd). The Open NTP project (www.ntp.org) has released a Security Notice regarding vulnerabilities that affect versions before ntp-4.2.8p9. These vulnerabilities could allow an attacker to execute amplification attacks, cause a process crash or a denial of service condition.
Exploitation of this vulnerability may lead to amplification attacks, cause a process crash or a denial of service condition.
Vulnerability Scoring Details
Exploitation and Public Announcements
NetApp is aware of public discussion of this vulnerability.
- Clustered Data ONTAP
- Data ONTAP operating in 7-Mode
- NetApp SolidFire & HCI Storage Node (Element Software)
Products Not Affected
- 7-Mode Transition Tool
- ATTO FibreBridge
- Brocade Fabric Operating System Firmware
- Brocade Network Advisor Software
- Clustered Data ONTAP Antivirus Connector
- E-Series SANtricity Management Plug-ins (VMware vCenter)
- E-Series SANtricity Storage Manager
- E-Series SANtricity Web Services (REST API) for Web Services Proxy
- FAS/AFF BIOS
- Host Utilities - SAN for Linux
- Host Utilities - SAN for Windows
- MetroCluster Tiebreaker for clustered Data ONTAP
- NetApp Cloud Backup (formerly AltaVault)
- NetApp Cloud Backup OST Plug-in (formerly AltaVault OST Plug-in)
- NetApp Manageability SDK
- NetApp NFS Plug-in for VMware VAAI
- NetApp Plug-in for Symantec NetBackup
- NetApp SANtricity SMI-S Provider
- NetApp SMI-S Provider
- NetApp Storage Encryption
- NetApp VASA Provider for Clustered Data ONTAP 7.2 and above
- OnCommand API Services
- OnCommand Balance
- OnCommand Cloud Manager
- OnCommand Insight
- OnCommand Performance Manager (Unified Manager Performance Pkg)
- OnCommand System Manager 9.x
- OnCommand Unified Manager for 7-Mode (core package)
- OnCommand Unified Manager for Clustered Data ONTAP
- OnCommand Workflow Automation
- Open Systems SnapVault Agent
- RAID Controller CTS2600 Legacy Engenio
- Service Processor
- Single Mailbox Recovery
- Snap Creator Framework
- SnapDrive for Unix
- SnapDrive for Windows
- SnapManager for Exchange
- SnapManager for Hyper-V
- SnapManager for MS SQL
- SnapManager for Oracle
- SnapManager for SAP
- SnapManager for Sharepoint
- Storage Replication Adapter for Clustered Data ONTAP for VMware vSphere 7.2 and above
- Storage Services Connector
- StorageGRID (formerly StorageGRID Webscale)
- StorageGRID Webscale NAS Bridge
- StorageGRID9 (9.x and prior)
- System Setup
- Virtual Storage Console for VMware vSphere 7.2 and above
Software Versions and Fixes
NetApp's currently available patches are listed below.
|Product||First Fixed in Release|
|NetApp SolidFire & HCI Storage Node (Element Software)||
|Data ONTAP operating in 7-Mode||
|Clustered Data ONTAP||
The fix for CVE-2016-9311 was applied to the NTP binary included with ONTAP 9.1P11 and higher. This action did not result in a modification of the NTP binary version, thus using it to identify vulnerabilities in ONTAP will produce false positive results.
None at this time.
Obtaining Software Fixes
Software fixes will be made available through the NetApp Support website in the Software Download section.
Customers who do not have access to the Support website should contact Technical Support at the number below to obtain the patches.
Check http://mysupport.netapp.com for further updates.
For questions, contact NetApp at:
1 888 4 NETAPP (1 888 463 8277) (U.S. and Canada)
+00 800 44 638277 (EMEA/Europe)
+800 800 80 800 (Asia/Pacific)
Status of This Notice
This advisory is posted at the following link:
|1.0||20170310||Initial Public Release|
|2.0||20170815||Data ONTAP operating in 7-Mode added to Software Versions and Fixes|
|3.0||20170922||NetApp VASA Provider for Clustered Data ONTAP moved to Products Not Affected|
|4.0||20180125||Clustered Data ONTAP added to Software Versions and Fixes|
|5.0||20180907||Added details for Clustered Data ONTAP on the Software Versions and Fixes page|
|6.0||20181211||Element Software (formerly SolidFire Element OS) added to Software Versions and Fixes, Final status|
This document is provided solely for informational purposes. All information is based upon NetApp’s current knowledge and understanding of the hardware and software products tested by NetApp, and the methodology and assumptions used by NetApp. NetApp is not responsible for any errors or omissions that may be contained herein, and no warranty, representation, or other legal commitment or obligation is being provided by NetApp. © 2017 NetApp, Inc. All rights reserved. No portions of this document may be reproduced without prior written consent of NetApp, Inc.